Tuesday, March 27, 2012

finding encouragement in the less hopeful cycles...

Back to blogging.


I took this picture about two months ago, and I still continue to find encouragement in it when I see it.

Some people are scared to come into the neighborhood where I work, some people label my students as "street kids" or "ghetto", some people call my students "bad kids", or their families as "lazy" or "poor".

And it's has been an ongoing struggle to  break down labels and stereotypes in this community.

Racism.

Discrimination.

Injustice.

It's all still here.

But I will tell you what else is here: HOPE. The picture is encouraging to me because I have seen basketball destroy walls that separate people from other people, my students from the community they are supposed to be a part of.

Rays of sunlight shine in on the NETwork basketball court: a place where students come after school excited to just hangout and be themselves, a place where they know they are cared for. Nothing about this court is scary, nothing about this court is street, nothing about this court is ghetto, and nothing about this court is lazy, or poor.

Everything about this court brings HOPE.

I see cylces. Shorter ones of kids repeating grades, or committing crimes that result in probation. Longer ones of repeated family mistakes or adopting an unhealthy parental habit.

And yes, the cycles in this community are a lifelong battles to fight that must include: the Lord, love, prayer, education, and listening. And yes, the cycles can be discouraging to watch, especially close up... but I will tell you what is here that I also get to watch close up: HOPE.

And the rays of sunlight that dry the basketball court on a rainy day so that when the bus rolls in the students here can do more that just play basketball on the court....

may we continue to break cycles and turn to the One who constantly is breaking us down and building us, providing hope.

Jesus.

No comments: